Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Our First Encounter...

In line at a checkout counter with the Littles in their stroller. Exchanging a few things and of course a price tag is missing. Price check. An older woman gets in line behind me then walks in front of the stroller and then returns to her place in line. I notice that when she  walked up she didn't really look very happy. I step back and let her check out while I'm waiting on a "Price check" and then.... it happens.... a comment about the children God has recently placed into our arms. Not a "They are so cute" or "They are so precious" comment which I do hear quite often, but a negative, derogatory, make my heart pound comment. Oh no!

At first I must admit my hair stood on end and my heart beat out of my chest and I really just wanted to explain to her how precious these children are and why can't she see that. Then I felt sad for her and took a second to ask God how do I handle this. What did He want me to do? Well, I'm not sure I handled it the best way. I did say something. I was kind and light in tone and I really wanted to honor God- but did I want to defend my children more? Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I'm not sure. I will say that because of her comment I was able to share some of our journey with the young lady at the checkout counter (who said she would like to adopt one day) and those who were now also in line got to hear how God lead us to China and provided for Timothy and Annabelle to come home with us. This has also been an opportunity for me to share with my big kiddos that Timothy and Annabelle (and we) will probably face more racism and that we need to be ready to respond in a way that will honor God first and foremost.

Yes, I (we) know there are many children in the United States that need families. We don't take that lightly. I could give you reasons for us going to another country like.... the orphanages and foster care over there are so much worse than here and the children get thrown out when they turn 14. But, those aren't the reasons we went to China. We went to China because that is where God led us. That is where our children were. We prayed about a domestic adoption. God drew us overseas. Not to China at first. We learned much about other countries, orphans, ministries and more while "we were trying to choose a country." You see, I don't think WE CHOSE. God did. For us, He chose China. Why? Because Timothy and Annabelle were there. God chose them to be ours before the foundations of the earth. Why? I DO NOT Know. I only know that I am blessed to be the mother of all four of my children. I do not know why Annabelle and Timothy had to have the beginning that they did, but God is faithful. He is trustworthy. He has and has always had a plan. He created all the children and desires for all of them to be His children. When one of His creation becomes His child, He doesn't see His Asian child, His American child, His white or black or Hispanic child. He sees HIS child. No race. No color. No disability. Just HIS. We pray that one day, Annabelle and Timothy will be His children, too.

If you would like to help orphans (or widows), see our Helpful Links to the right.
Blessings,
B

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly said friend! I can only imagine the uncertainty about the moment, but I can feel your extreme clarity as the moment has come and gone! The Lord is certainly preparing you to be confident in your speech about HIS decision for you to adopt internationally, and certainly, you do not need to "defend" but "educate" as these situations will most certainly arise again! You know mine and Dan's heart has been led for domestic adoption and I whole heartedly believe that it takes all of us...HE uses all of us to acheive His perfect purposes. Even the lady in the check out counter...her disbelief in His plan still circumstantially achieved His will in that moment! The rocks will cry out friend! I love you so much and hope that every day is a Christ filled one!!
    Susana

    ReplyDelete